12.10.2007

too cute to poke!

This here doggie is a pattern from the awesome book Art Doll Adventures by Li Hertzi. He's a pincushion, but how could I possibly stick anything in this smiley guy?

I love this book - the idea behind it is to take images from other cultures and build them into new creations.... and do lots of playing and experimenting. This dog has beading, embroidery, fun fur yarn, an old dog license tag around his neck, and general wackiness.

I think (I don't have the book in front of me) that Li got the idea for the pattern from an African sculpture, and I just noticed that the yellow eye beads are beads that my uncle sent to me when he was stationed in Togo with the state department - how perfect!

A couple more views of him at my flickr.

3 comments:

Sandy's Quilter's Block said...

This pooch is awesome! I love it! It reminds me of a cartoon that used to be on in the 80's, I think, it was called "Rude Dog". I used to watch it with my son, we loved it. Thanks for the memory.

Linda Woods said...

I LOVE this dog! I want one!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!!
Its really awesome...
I liked it...